Friday, February 20, 2009

The Little Prince

Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is exhausting for children to have to provide explanations over and over again” –The Little Prince I was scouring my bedside table for good books this morning and I came across my copy of The Little Prince. The Little Prince, incase you are one of those unfortunate few who have not heard of it, is a book originally written in French by Antoine De Saint-Exupery. It is one of those rare books written for both children and adults. For a child, it is a book that they can relate to. It is full of imagination and the everyday annoyances that they run into when dealing with an adult. For an adult, the book acts as a reminder to cease from living as a serious grownup that ignores their imagination. This is a book that should be on bookshelves of adults and children alike. If you have a child, read this story to them. If you don’t, read this story to yourself. The Little Prince has proved to not only be an important reminder to me as an adult, it has also proved to be important to me in my relationship. After I had graduated from high school, I went back to my little town to see The Little Prince performed at my high school. Many of the actors in this performance I had acted with myself. Among those actors was Wes, who stared as the Little Prince. During high school, Wes and I had been good friends, but nothing more. Nevertheless, when I saw Wes perform that evening I saw him in a whole new way. A few months after the performance we started dating and we have been together ever since. Wes is my Little Prince and I am his fox. He has certainly filled my life with sunshine. "Nothing's perfect," sighed the fox. "My life is monotonous. I hunt chickens; people hunt me. All chickens are just alike, and all men are just alike. So I'm rather bored. But if you tame me, my life will be filled with sunshine. I'll know the sound of footsteps that will be different from all the rest. Other footsteps send me back underground. Yours will call me out of my burrow like music. And then, look! You see the wheat fields over there? I don't eat bread. For me, wheat is no use whatever. Wheat fields say nothing to me. Which is sad. But you have hair the color of gold. So it will be wonderful, once you've tamed me! The wheat, which is golden, will remind me of you. And I'll love the sound of the wind in the wheat..."—The Little Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment