Sunday, February 15, 2009

Some of My Favorite Things

During my life, well during the past six years, I have run into some fantastic pieces of entertainment that I have really enjoyed and that have stuck with me. These things I want to share with you so maybe you can get the same wonderful experiences out of them as I did.
Big Fish is an absolutely fantastic movie that has remained number one on my list of favorite movies since I saw it in high school with my two best friends. It is directed by Tim Burton and stars Ewan McGregor. It is a far-fetched, yet very likely movie that will have everyone crying and laughing and viewing the world forever in a different way.
The movie that makes number two on my list of favorite movies is Harold and Maude. Harold and Maude was made in 1971. Cat Stevens monopolizes the sound track, making you fall in love with his music in a whole new way. I don’t think I would have ever seen the movie if it wasn’t for my brother telling me to watch it. It is an unlikely love story that always makes me fall in love with life and the uncertainties it may bring.
My freshman year in college I somehow came across a band called The Format and their song entitled “The Snail Song.” If you have a chance, go and listen to this lovely melody. It always reminds me to take time and enjoy myself, a reminder that everyone needs once in a while.
My sophomore year of college I was browsing around Amazon, trying to find some new music, and I came across Eric Bibb. The next day I bought his CD and still can’t stop listening to him. My favorite song is “Mr. Shine” from his CD Diamond Days.
Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen, is my all time favorite book. Due to my insane love for elephants, I have been looking longingly at this book for over a year, yet never buying it. Well, for Christmas Wes’ dad gave it to me. I brought it with me on my trip to Hawaii, which turned out to not be the best idea because it was difficult to put it down and enjoy the crazy roasters of Kauai. Anyhow, Water for Elephants is set during the great depression and it is about a man who leaves veterinarian school and travels with a circus. I passed it along to my mom, who absolutely loved it, and now my sister is reading it. (I love our constant sharing of books.) I promise you, whether you are a 19 year old man or a 71 year old woman, you are going to love it.

This music video is my most recent on my list of favorite things. Wes sent me this video a few weeks ago. I think it is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't funny how you can remember exactly what year you began liking some band or song? Music always sets the tone for my year/semester/really any time frame. My freshmen year I was so in to bright eyes... sophomore year I swear all I listened to was the band Space Mtn. Music really does hold memories!

    P.s. I forget, did I tell you I finally watched Harold and Maude? I loved it!

    ReplyDelete