Thursday, April 30, 2009

David Sedaris

"I love things made out of animals. It's just so funny to think of someone saying, 'I need a letter opener. I guess I'll have to kill a deer.'"
— David Sedaris

David Sedaris, author of Naked, Holidays on Ice, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Me Talk Pretty One Day, and When You Are Engulfed in Flames, did a reading at the Modesto Junior College last Saturday night and I was lucky enough to attend. For those of you who have not yet read a David Sedaris book, his books are hilarious. To be honest, I have never read one of his books and only bought a book of his because I knew he would be signing them. I have always listened to David Sedaris on CD. He has such a great voice and such a way of reading his work that I continually buy his books on CDs or get them from the library. The first time I ever heard him was in my brothers car. Bryan was listening to his book Holidays on Ice , a book I recommend for those of you who have not read any works by David Sedaris, and I laughed so hard I cried. My favorite story in that book is entitled "Six to Eight Black Men."
Anyhow, the reading was amazing and by the end of the night my face hurt from laughing so much. I think the best part was that after we got out of the theater David Sedaris came out and signed books.



I found out after this picture was taken that no pictures were allowed to be taken of David Sedaris. Opps! Anyhow, David is the one sitting down by the elevator doors. After what felt like an eternity, Wes and I got to meet David Sedaris and have him sign our books. This turned out to be an interesting meeting and one I will never forget. He first asked Wes if he was a Leo and he did a little growl and pawed at him with his right hand. When Wes said that he was not a Leo, but that his mom was, David asked Wes if he had recently had sex with his mother. David then went on to ask me if I had a sister and a brother. When I told him I did, he asked me if I could forgive them if they had sex with each other. And that, in a nutshell, was my encounter with David Sedaris.



Here is what David Sedaris wrote and drew in my book. I call his drawing the Abe Lincoln turtle.



Here is what David Sedaris wrote and drew in Wes' book. David Sedaris told me that if I had a cat it would look like his drawing...

No comments:

Post a Comment