Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio


One of my latest movies sent by netflix was The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio. It is one of those movies that has been on my list for months, but has just kept moving around due to new releases and different television series that I am so addicted to I cannot bear having a movie in between disks. Finally, I decided that this was a movie that I needed to watch because even the preview made me weepy, so I decided to watch this instead of The L Word, which, by the way, is an excellent series. Anyhow, I watched this movie Thursday night before I went home for Spring break and it was fantastic. This film is based on a book that is based on a true story. This film is about a mother during the 50s and early 60s who supports her ten children by entering different contests. Her husband, a former singer who lost his beautiful singing voice due to a terrible car accident, is an alcoholic and spends the majority of the money he manages to make as a machinist on booze. To keep her family of twelve afloat, the mother writes jingles and does other entries for contests by submitting her entries under her children's names. All of this really happened and when Terry, one of the middle children, grew up she wrote a book about it. At the end of the film they show all of the real ten children grown up. This film is guaranteed to bring a tear to your eye. I provided the preview below. Give it a watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment